Hello!

Welcome to my little Blog!
If you're reading this, you're either a friend whom I asked to read this or you're my mom :P

Tuesday 16 June 2015

I'm better... or am I?

It has been a long time since I've written something on this blog (owing to several preoccupations and laziness) but something I saw today made me want to put this out there, however limited the viewership may be.

A friend told me about a survey in the newspaper today that ranks engineering institutes in the country. Though I like to think of myself as loyal to my institution and normally, I wouldn't go so far as to argue its position in terms of ranking. But the list, which mind you - at this time would affect how prospective students perceive my institution, is full of anomalies, to say the least.

Before I go on about how these ranking, to me, seem unreliable, I would like to say that these are my own views, combined with a couple of discussions I've had with my friends over the last 2 years when similar lists have been published. I am sure that the people making the list have done the requisite research to publish such an 'authoritative' list, but I seriously doubt how valid it is.

The list makes me (and several of my friends) question what I've heard and experienced. It goes against what most experienced people would tell you and yet, somehow, it claims to be well researched. This can only happen in one of two ways - either some of these institutions have improved in leaps and bounds over the last year or the list is not to be trusted.

I was also once a clueless student, unaware (some may argue that I still am) and heavily reliant on what I read in the newspapers to make an important life decision - and therefore, I know what an impact such a list can have.

Anyway.
Saw something, wrote about it. 

I plan on doing it more, probably.

Keep shining!
Keep your cape flying!

2 comments: